YBF AWARDS 2013
The YBF's is back and excited to announce the ground-breaking and diverse shortlist for its second annual awards which will take place at Tanner and Co on 10th September 2013. Selected from hundreds of entrants, the shortlist reveals the next generation of talented and passionate gastronomes in Britain today.
The official YBF Shortlisters for 2013 are:
- Jack Bevan - The Ethicurean
- Carl Brown - Dishoom
- Alex Kammerling - Kamm & Sons
- Tom Gibson – Ruby's
- Fredi Viaud – Charlotte's Bistro
- Tom Gosnell – Gosnells mead
- Miguel Arbe – Ceviche
- Sean Blake – Rosie's Deli +Sean's Bar
- David Crompton & Stuart Bale - Gastrophonic
- Miranda York & Sarah Chamberlain - Toast
- Russell Jones - Condiment Junkie
- Tasha Marks - Animal Vegetable Mineral
- Giles Clark - St John Bread and Wine
- Grant Hawthorne - African Volcano
- Jesse Dunford Wood - Parlour
- Matthew Pennington - The Ethicurean
- David Freeman - Freemans Food Ltd
- Gideon Botha - Blankbox Coffee
- Hoi Chi Ng & Mattias Suchert - Coming Soon
- Lee Harte - Giddy Up Coffee
- Rhiannan Sullivan - Born Yesterday
- Mark Wright - Rola Wala
- Manjit Kaur - Manjit's Kitchen
- Sarah Mather - Madeline Express
- Shing Tat Chung, Wai Ting Chung & Er Chen - BAO
- Catherine Kilgour - Wild Rover
- James & Thom Elliott - Pizza Pilgrims
- Chris Young - The Real Bread Campaign
- Stephen Wilson - The Russet
- Alice Cosgrove - Where's This From Ltd
- Toby Allen - Brockley Market
- Miss South - Brixton blogger and more
- Samuel Muston - The Independent
- Helen Graves - author, blogger & sells jerk marinade
- Alex Hoffler - Meringue Girls
- Duncan Glendinning - Thoughtful Bread Company
- Poppy Smadja - Poppy&Sebastian
- Rekha Mehr - Pistachio Rose
- Lucie Bennett - Fleur De Sel
- Illtud Dunsford - Charcuiter Ltd
- Lyn Arrowsmith - Raskelf Rare Breeds
- Olly Kohn - Jolly Hog
- Zac Fingal-Rock Innes - Tozino
The YBFs was a great event. I think in the coming years it will be one of the most important industry awards in the UK. Tony Conigliaro, drinks legend, 69 Colebrooke Row - YBFs Judge, Alcohol
I am really happy to be a part of the YBFs. Its focus is on unearthing independent greatness in food and I can't wait to see what this year turns up. Petra Barran, street-food maestro who runs KERB - YBFs Judge, Streetfood
Winning a YBF category is a hallmark stamp of quality for experienced foodists and aspiring novices alike. Those who triumph in the YBFs will help define what we eat and drink for the next decade. Sam Bompas, of food pros Bompas & Parr - YBFs Judge, Experimental
CONFIRMED JUDGES FOR THE YBFS 2013
AlcoholThe leading authority on all things bibulous, Tony C of 69 Colebrooke Row – there’s no one better – will be judging the rising stars of mixology.
ExperientialAs with last year, we have the scenesters’ top epicurean experimentalists, Sam Bompas and Harry Parr on board with the founder of the Experimental Food Soc, Alexa Perrin.
ChefsMarina O'Loughlin, the best restaurant critic in Britain to judge chefs, alongside the brilliant Nuno Mendes. Mendes is of course from El Bulli, Bacchus, now Viajante, the restaurant du jour in Bethnal Green.
CoffeeCoffee king and rule breaker, Gwilym Davies to judge new cutting edge stars of the barista world, alongside Australia’s acclaimed Tim Styles of Workshop fame and Illy university’s revered mentor Marco Arrigo. It’s an august team.
Street FoodKerb's founder Petra Barran confirmed to judge the mobile food movement. That's with formidable arbiter and Manchester's street talent Claire Kelsey and Nichola Smith of Healthy Yummies.
HonoraryThis is the wildcard. If you don’t fit into the above categories, feel free to enter here. Judges are the founders of The YBF awards and chef & author Gizzi Erskine.
Food WritingOur New Voices in Food Writing category is led by big name judges Marina O'Loughlin, Tracy MacLeod, Yotam Ottelenghi and Tim Hayward
BakingJudges dough-doyen Daniel Stevens formerly of River Cottage and baker to the celebs, Lily Vanilli, are arbiters.
MeatMeat doyen, Yianni Papoutsis of MeatLiquor fame will be looking over charcuterie, meat and butchery alongside Neil Rankin of Smokehouse N1 and Ross Shonhan of Bone Daddies